Monday, November 7, 2016

Painted Circles Tutorial


I learned this technique from Cat Hand's Mixed Media Morsels.  Here is the YouTube video.  I love this technique for background paper because I love love love circles, its a good way to use up extra acrylic paint, it used supplies I have and it is a simple easy technique that results in eye catching papers.  

When I do this I usually do several pages at once.  In this session I made seven sheets. 




Ingredients
Paper substrate - I used vintage book text from a French textbook
Acrylic Paint - I used cheap acrylic paint that came in a kit. 
Q-Tips
White Acrylic Paint - I used some in a fine liner bottle but you could use a paint pen or a paint brush.
Black Acrylic Paint
Circle makers - I used a soda bottle cap and an empty toilet paper roll
Heat Tool or patience



 Steps

1.  Using a Q-tip and acrylic paint, paint open circles and curved lines similar to the let C on a vintage paper. Let dry or use a heat tool to dry before moving on to the next color.  I work on several pieces at once so the first color is dry by the time I am ready to move onto the next one so I do not usually use a heat gun.


2.  With another Q-Tip and another color of acrylic paint, paint around the around the original marks.  It helps if you do quick little swipes.  Let dry or use a heat tool to dry before moving on to the next color.  Don't worry about not having completed circles, as you add more colors they fill out.  



3.  Repeat with several more colors.  I used pink as my base color then orange, blue and green.  


4.  With white acrylic paint, add highlights.  Let dry or use a heat tool to dry before moving on.

5.  With two round objects and black acrylic paint, stamp circles around the painted circles.  Let dry or use a heat tool to dry before moving on.  


I would never use the paint to actually paint with because it is so transparent but for this technique it was great.  It also came in this little tubs of paint so it was perfect to traveling to an art making event.




No comments: